The Silver Lake Regional High School science program develops problem-solving skills that will enable students to apply scientific concepts throughout their lives. Courses in the Science department encourage students to reach proficiency toward the following SLRHS Academic Expectation: use technology to access and convey knowledge.
In addition to supporting the school’s mission, our major objective is that students acquire scientific literacy that includes these competencies:
● Propose and use models, such as the atomic model, as reasonable explanations of physical and biological events
● Use the scientific method to solve problems and to make predictions
● Recognize connections between science and other subjects
● Understand the impact of science upon technology and society
● Discern mathematical relationships in science
● Be able to read, write, and communicate about science
● Be able to collect information, analyze, and draw conclusions relative to experiments ● Demonstrate familiarity with technology, such as computers, as a way to collect, manipulate, and analyze data
● Recognize social and ethical issues surrounding scientific advances
● Have an awareness of environmental issues
● Know how to work efficiently and safely with scientific equipment● Work cooperatively with others
The mission of the Silver Lake Science Department is to challenge students to use critical thinking and reasoning skills in a variety of authentic investigations to help present science as a means of questioning, observing, investigating, and explaining the natural world.
The department strives to use, as the foundation for our instruction, the eight science and engineering practices.
1. Asking questions and defining problems
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations and designing solutions
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
2020 AP Summer Experiences
Click on the links below to see what teachers have developed for a summer experiences to help students stay engaged with material. These are recommended activities and students are encouraged to take advantage of them to help prepare for the level of investigation they will undertake in an AP science class.