The mission of the Silver Lake Science Department is to challenge students to use critical thinking and reasoning skills in a variety of authentic investigations to help present science as a means of questioning, observing, investigating, and explaining the natural world.
The department strives to use, as the foundation for our instruction, the eight science and engineering practices.
1. Asking questions and defining problems
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations and designing solutions
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information